So who would have ever imagined we could experience a hurricane in the Midwest? I guess we really experienced the remnants of Ike but if what we were hit with was only the remnants, I feel really bad for those who were hit by his full force. I was home alone on Sunday when it all started: wind gusts like I have never seen. Addison was in Michigan and happened to call when I was in the back bedroom about to hang curtains I bought for the nursery. I looked out the window to see our tree starting to fall in pieces...two very large pieces. Luckily, it missed our house by about a foot...covering most of our backyard leading up to the back patio. I was a little frantic to say the least so Addison left to come home. We lost power around 2:30 that afternoon and have been without since. But Ike will not bring us down! We are doing the best we can, Addison has already cleared most of the tree and we'll have someone help us take the rest of it down. It could be a while though because Cincinnati is a mess. I really have never seen anything like it, trees and power lines are down everywhere and most traffic lights are not working. People are scrambling to get gas, batteries, ice and basics like milk. At one point, more than 700,000 were without power. Our energy company is bringing in reinforcements from the Carolina's, doubling their workforce.
We feel very lucky that our downed tree didn't cause more damage than it did and we are praying for those who were not as lucky.


The cleanup


No comments:
Post a Comment