We saw the orthopedic specialist last week and he determined Lillian will need surgery on both hips. It will most likely occur in August. I knew the chances of her needing surgery were high so I tried to prepare myself but I'm still feeling overwhelmed with emotions. I do not want her to go through this!! Really, I would do anything if it could be me going through this instead of her. I keep thinking "she doesn't deserve this!" but then what child does?? We are trying to stay focused on the fact that this is treatable, we are lucky enough to live in a country where we can get the help she needs and we have an amazing Doctor.
The surgery is called closed reduction and will involve cutting a tendon on both sides and then setting her hips into place. She will be under general anesthesia. Lillian will be in casts for six weeks (from chest to feet) then we go back for the second procedure. She will be put under again, the casts come off, the Doctor resets her hips and she will be casted again...for another six weeks.
After that, she will be in a brace for six months (average.) The Doctor assured us that she will be able to crawl with the casts and walk with the brace. He said kids just somehow find a way!
This is the best case scenario for Lillian at this point. We are hoping and praying that this will work for her. I have to believe it will. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we embark on this journey.
Monday, June 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










No comments:
Post a Comment